SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Engine / Airbox / Exhaust / Fuel Delivery

Forum Sponsor

» Weather
Weather information for SoFla:

Would you like to see the riding weather for your location?

Please register with our website and remember to fill in your zipcode.

When you return your local weather will be displayed.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Amateur Racer

boomer is on a distinguished road
GSXR-750 EXCVA problems

First some history:
My first sportbike (that I owned, not a friends) was a 2006 Gsxr 600, i bought that bike new in NY and from the very beginning had problems with the FI light blinking. After several FREE dealer services to try to fix it, i was told it was related to the EXCVA (exhaust control valve). The NY dealer also told me that this was affecting a lot (if not all) new 2006 600/750 bikes at the time. After a while the problem seemed to occur less and i just accepted it. I moved to south florida in early 2007 and once again the problem returned. So I took the bike to a certain very-south florida Suzuki dealer (the nearest to me). They told me it was a cable adjustment issue. After adjusting the cables the problem was still there. A few months later I traded that bike for a new 2007 Gsxr 750 from that same dealer. 9 months after that the very same problem began to affect the new 750. I took it back to the same un-named dealer and they told me it was not covered under warranty and it would cost $300 to adjust the cables. I called suzuki and they said go to the dealer, who once again told me it was not a warranty repair because Suzuki wouldn't reimburse them for it.

So I bought the dealer manual on ebay for $5 and followed the semi-complicated procedure to adjust the cables. The problem went away. A year later it once again returned, so i adjusted the cables myself and it seemed to work ok again. Now a few weeks ago the problem is returning, although now the EXCVA unit itself is making a clicking, so im thinking its time to replace that.

My question is:
Has anyone else had this problem with the 06/07 and possibly newer models of 600/750 or do i just have really bad luck with this? Also is there a way other than using an aftermarket header to bypass this system? Any other thoughts are also welcome.

boomer
boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Somebody's got to finish mid-pack

scubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to scubabill
Re: GSXR-750 EXCVA problems

Riva, Right...LOL

scubabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
Somebody's got to finish mid-pack

scubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond reputescubabill has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to scubabill

Lots of people run a full system without the valve.

scubabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Amateur Racer

OK, here's another question:
Does the 08/09 EXCVA servo motor fit and bolt up to a 07 750?
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
2000 Post Club

Mr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond repute

There are two leads/wires you can cut & jump together that will do two things. First lock the exhaust valve open, which will had a small amount of noise at low RPM. You won't be able to tell the difference. And second, the F1 error code will never come up again.

Just look online for which wires on your model/year, or ask a local shop to take care of it for you.

You don't need the EXCVA motor, it's there for noise control to meet EPA regs
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Amateur Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
There are two leads/wires you can cut & jump together that will do two things. First lock the exhaust valve open, which will had a small amount of noise at low RPM. You won't be able to tell the difference. And second, the F1 error code will never come up again.

Just look online for which wires on your model/year, or ask a local shop to take care of it for you.

You don't need the EXCVA motor, it's there for noise control to meet EPA regs
Thanks this is exactly what i was hoping to hear. I did some more digging and its apparently as easy as removing pin #30 from the black ecu plug under the seat. Im going to try this now and then post the results.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600, sold
Old 07-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
I am the eater of worlds, and of children.

JayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond reputeJayDouble has a reputation beyond repute

remove the cables all together and that will fix it. without the cables connected, it should stay open. got a jumper with my pc3, so i dont have the error light issues.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Amateur Racer

OK ITS FIXED!
heres the best write-up ive found
K6-K7 600/750 SET Valve Removal w/Pics - Gixxer Planet Suzuki Sportbike Forums

simply cut the black/brown+green dot wire on pin 30 of the black ecu plug and its all good! I dont plan on taking the servo/cables off since im lazy. Maybe some other time when its not hot as fuck outside.
2006 Suzuki GSXR 600, sold