SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion of Specific Brands > KTM Motorcycles

Forum Sponsor

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By will9465
  • 1 Post By Eddie315

Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 PM   #1
Live fast ride hard

Eddie315 has a spectacular aura aboutEddie315 has a spectacular aura about
Ktm 250 exc bogging

Not sport bike related but you guys have helped me out before in similar issues. So I have a 1996 250 exc and it has been great to me. Until I was riding down a canal road and it just felt like it lost power and wasn't revving out right. Got back to the truck and changed the spark plug. Still bogging. Thought maybe the main jet got clogged so I pulled the carb and cleaned everything and changed the setting on the needle. Still bogging. Pulled the tank and the flywheel cover off and checked all of the wires and just moved everything around but didn't see anything wrong. Threw it back together and still bogging. When I'm wide open on the throttle it almost sounds like a rev limiter which led me to believe it was a spark issue. Compression tested good and the reeds aren't damaged at all. Maybe coil or bad CDI? I took a video so you all could hear the "rev limiter"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjfbiFG8Y1k
Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Cars' bait

Lnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really nice
Re: Ktm 250 exc bogging

It sounds to me like an intermittent electrical bridge, unless the old spark looked fouled or indicating lean or rich mix.

At open throttle, it is harder for the sparks to jump because pressure is higher.
That may be the reason for the sparks to sound fluent at any regime but top rpm's.
Coils fail completely when they do, same with CDI, in my experience.

Using an ohm-meter, I would carefully check the electric continuity for all the wires and connectors upstream the spark plug, including the spark plug's plug and high-tension wire.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Superbike Racer

will9465 has a spectacular aura aboutwill9465 has a spectacular aura about

WHen you cleaned the carb did you use a thing string or just air? Sometimes you have to use something physical like guitar string or piece of safety wire.
I'm sure you checked obvious things like fuel filter (if you have one).
Also check for vacuum leaks from the intake to the carb? Silly things that might have been missed
Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 AM   #4
Live fast ride hard

Eddie315 has a spectacular aura aboutEddie315 has a spectacular aura about

Sorry for the late reply but I solved this issue! Oddly enough it was the exhaust silencer plugged up with old oil and carbon. I took the silencer apart and the "spark arrestor" steel wool stuff in there was completely clogged up. So I just tossed the spark arrestor and put it all back together and it's good as new! I replaced the packing while I had it apart and just drilled a big hole right through the spark arrestor section even though I already removed the blockage just because I didn't want to take it apart again. Hope this helps someone!