SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Riding Gear / Luggage / Electronics

Forum Sponsor

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anarion55

Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute
Waterproof backpack for laptop recommendation?

My son takes his laptop back and forth to work daily and while he doesn't head out in anything short of a hurricane, like yours truly, he will get rained on being in south Florida.

So he's looking for a backpack that will protect his laptop from the torrential downpours we can get here. Anyone have any recommendations and/or backpacks to avoid?

Thanks.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Waterproof backpack for laptop recommendation?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any backpacks that are truly waterproof...

I also commute with a laptop in a backpack, sometimes on the bike, and like you, sometimes get caught by the summer rains...

What I do is this - Instead of wearing the backpack, I strap it down to the tail of the bike (where the passenger seat would go), and if it is even remotely likely to rain, I will encase it securely in a plastic trash bag - the white, kitchen-style bags are perfect for this. If the end is tightly rolled, it keeps water out very well.

A more waterproof method would be to do the same, but using a waterproof stuff-bag (available at camping supply stores) instead of the trash bag. Those are actually waterproof, and will survive being submerged without leaking.

I find that having the pack strapped to the bike keeps the CG lower, and doesn't affect handling as badly.

That's what I've been doing for years, and it's worked admirably well for me.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote