SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 12-12-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Calibrating your Torque Wrench

Calibrating your Torque Wrench

Since a torque wrench is a valuable tool in determining bolt torque, one must wonder as to how accurate this tool really is. Well wonder no more as the directions are below. This is a general guide just to get you close, it does not replace a true calibration which is a yearly requirement in most regulated bussineses

1 Place the square drive of the torque wrench in a vise. The wrench should be parallel to ground. Use a level as a guide
2 Set the torque wrench to the torque, which corresponds to the known weight that is going to be used
3 Measure out 12? from center of torque wrench drive
4 Using suitable wire or rope suspend the known weight at the 12? mark
5 The torque wrench should register the known weight. You may gently push up or down on the wrench if it is a clicker type to feel how close you are to the ideal torque.
So, what did we just accomplish? Torque is a force defined by hanging a known weight over a known distance. So, 1 foot/lb.= one pound suspended horizontally 12? from pivot point. You probably missed this little jewel by napping in High School physics, but the Scudman explained it again.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:01 PM   #2
gummo
Administrator

gummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond repute
Stickified

Founder / SoFlaSportbikes

Head Track Day Pusher / FloridaTrackDays.com
- Homestead Miami Speedway
- Palm Beach International Raceway
- JenningsGP

gummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #3
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute
So, how do I calibrate if not correct?

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecracing
Look at the torque wrench handle (clicker type). It will have a ring with set screws in it. The ring has numbers 0-9. Loosen the set screws and rotate the ring until the torque applied equals the torque reading. This adjustment is only good for 9 units, after that you may have to shim the spring or just buy a new torque wrench, they came down in price.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecracing
Look at the torque wrench handle (clicker type). It will have a ring with set screws in it. The ring has numbers 0-9. Loosen the set screws and rotate the ring until the torque applied equals the torque reading. This adjustment is only good for 9 units, after that you may have to shim the spring or just buy a new torque wrench, they came down in price.
SNAP-ON never comes down in price

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Bubbazenetty
I'm a racist...but I hate everybody equally.

Bubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond reputeBubbazenetty has a reputation beyond repute
Mine doesn't have an adjustment knob...what do I do?
Bubbazenetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
Scudman
Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbazenetty
Mine doesn't have an adjustment knob...what do I do?
I would have to look at it, but it must have an adjuster somewhere. Maybe inside the handle,look for an allen set screw
Old 12-03-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
OneBadSRAD
Scooter Racer

OneBadSRAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Calibrating your Torque Wrench

It's also a good idea to check it at several different settings. IE: Middle of the scale, 10-20% from the lowest setting, and 10-20% from the highest setting.

Torque wrenches are usually less accurate at their extremes. And for extreme precision you should check it at the setting you use the majority of the time.

When you're using a torque wrench make sure you use the manufacturer's suggested lubricant on the bolt threads (motor oil, moly grease, etc.) for that specific torque setting.

A more precise method of checking preload is by measuring bolt stretch, though this is usually uncommon except in the case of rod bolts.
OneBadSRAD is offline   Reply With Quote