SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 AM   #31
bigjoe87865
SHAGERON!!

bigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond repute
re: Car to motorcycle oil filters conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK74 View Post
5000, never would I go that long on any oil. I am a stickler for over changing my oil, I try to change every 1000 miles. That is me though, I know I over do it, but thats the way I play.

you know jareds 100k bike's oil was changed every 5kmiles with mobil one...
the oil is made for 15,000 on cars... so it could be equivilent to 5000 bike miles... and i was doing the same also... the oil didnt look that bad when it was draining...

id end up broke if i changed every 1000miles man.... thats an oil change every 2 weeks.

- Joel
bigjoe87865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #32
liquidsniper
WWKMD?

liquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond reputeliquidsniper has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using purolator filters for my bikes as long as I have been doing oil changes. I also don't buy cycle specific oil, I just use the mobil1 gold cap but I'm gonna give the rotella a try. Scud knows his stuff too. Like JJ said. I will trust the engineer over the mechanic any day. For the purolator filters I just look up the correct one for the mazda miata and use that one.

things would be better if I was home with pepper, burning pakalolo not even noticing the weather

My balls, would you like to touch them?
liquidsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #33
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK74 View Post
5000, never would I go that long on any oil. I am a stickler for over changing my oil, I try to change every 1000 miles. That is me though, I know I over do it, but thats the way I play.
!k miles is too short. One, you are wasting natural resources and 2, your engine runs without oil pressure for a period of time that it takes to fill up the filter.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #34
basa820
Forum Addict

basa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman View Post
!k miles is too short. One, you are wasting natural resources and 2, your engine runs without oil pressure for a period of time that it takes to fill up the filter.
I change it every 3k miles.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:34 PM   #35
aquapython
the final countdown

aquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond reputeaquapython has a reputation beyond repute

for the rotella, Fools!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:45 PM   #36
zx10Blade
Law Abiding Citizen;)

zx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have been using Shell Rotella 5-40 full synthetic diesel oil. It is one of the best rated oils you can buy. $16/gal at Walmart. For the oil filter I have been using a Purolator car filter L14612 ($6) fits most bikes. It is a high quality filter, better than the bike specific filters. From the replies that I have gotten from this tread it is obvious that no one bothered to actually read what was posted in the link. There are a lot of opinions about car vs bike specific oils with very few facts. Having said that you will not go wrong by using bike specific oil even though most is of inferior quality to the Rotella. I have never used a bike specific oil in any of my bikes, ever. My track bike is always close to redline at the track and has over 2,000 track miles with over 30,000 street miles (bought it used). The engine is like brand new inside with no dirty deposits anywhere and the cams (hardest working part of any engine) is also like brand new. Neede one valve adjusted at 31,500 miles.

I agree 100%...i recently switched over from AMSOIL. I had recently used AMSOIL in every bike i have owned and my track bikes. So i just switched after reading all of the independent tests done on oils and the Shell Rotella T Fully Synthetic Oil 10W-40 came out as one of the top oils and on top of everything its half the price of Amsoil at Wally World. No brainer if you ask me. I could be imagining things but i think my litre bike is shifting as smooth or smoother than before! I also use the Purolator Pure One 14610 Oil Filter as its a bit longer than the factory oil filter and provides better filtration and protection because of the extra length. This filter has outperformed or is right there with some of the top brands...so why spend $13 on a K&N versus $6 for Purolator! I do love the K&N for the nut they put on the end, but fuck it, its not $7 COOL. Only bad thing is i have to stop at wally world then run over to Advanced Auto to get my filter,

JMO, Good Thread!

04 ZX10-R, BMC filter, -1+2 AFAM 520 Conversion, Fen. Elim, Euro Turns, DB Black Windscreen, Lowered 2", Barnett Clutch with slipper and HD springs, PCIII with custom tune, custom cams, upgraded internals in top and bottom end.
zx10Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #37
kf4mtw
so little time.

kf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond reputekf4mtw has a reputation beyond repute

I can appreciate and respect folks saving money on maintenance for their bikes, that is good. Alot of folks don't stray too far from home on them either. I gotta stick with the factory recommended spec oil, 10-30 for most newer Honda's and change it every 1000-1500 max miles unless it's a cruiser bike or something that does not see high rpm's.
I'll be glad when somebody besides Honda starts to make a motorcycle oil in 10-30, gotta be a little cheaper than theirs.
kf4mtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 PM   #38
shortyr6
^ Now owns a GSXR... WTF???

shortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond reputeshortyr6 has a reputation beyond repute

Mobil 1 or K&N oil filters FTW.
shortyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #39
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute

The K&N filters were not rated highly for their filtering efficiency. The nut is cool but I rather have a better filter and use a hose clamp with safety wire. Also the nut is a bitch to safety wire as it is hollow and the safety wire does not go through without hanging up. If you want to save money the Walmart SuperTech filter is a good filter at $2.5 each.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #40
zx10Blade
Law Abiding Citizen;)

zx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond reputezx10Blade has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The K&N filters were not rated highly for their filtering efficiency. The nut is cool but I rather have a better filter and use a hose clamp with safety wire. Also the nut is a bitch to safety wire as it is hollow and the safety wire does not go through without hanging up. If you want to save money the Walmart SuperTech filter is a good filter at $2.5 each.

Nah scudman, i was just referring to the ease of removal ....my zx-10 filter is a PIMA to get off with conventional methods so the nut makes quick work...but yeah i love the Purolator Pure One or even the Mobil 1 filter.

04 ZX10-R, BMC filter, -1+2 AFAM 520 Conversion, Fen. Elim, Euro Turns, DB Black Windscreen, Lowered 2", Barnett Clutch with slipper and HD springs, PCIII with custom tune, custom cams, upgraded internals in top and bottom end.
zx10Blade is offline   Reply With Quote