SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #61
skipper06
Racer

skipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car to motorcycle oil filters conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95south phatman View Post
that car oil is not motorcycle oil and should not be put in motorcycles cmon u dont use ur toothbrush to brush ur hair im just sayin it might be the same but it aint usin it would u use car oil in ur racebike?

ohhh i dont use car oil on my bike. i use full syn motul 300V double ester

Sponsors: SBK PRO Race Team, SOLOSON Import, MIN. deporte, Otalora Racing, Dainese, AGV, Leo Vince, Chicken Hawk Racing, RK Chains

Official site: www.GusSanchez300.com
skipper06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #62
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper06 View Post
facts:

1. the turbo charger spins at 60k more or less and it may get to about 1500 degrees at the most at the center of the wheel shaft. (steady non moving part like a crank, bearing, valves, pistons etc ) the thicker the worst it is, then the motor the highest will spin is at what 5k tops, umm ok.
all your moving parts need lubrication some more than others but who cares if your oil is to thin, to thick or is if design for a F16 fighter plain or for a scotter oil is oil, lets all put car oil is better. thats the best concept ever.

2. so the same oil you use on the motor of your diessel is the same one you put on your car transmission???

maybe on a ducati being dry you could get away but not on a system that your transmission, clutch and motor use the same clutch.
My Ford Ranger manual transmission specified Automatic transmission fluid. Go figure.
Most transmissions call for G5 90w hypoid oil. Our bikes share engine oil with the transmission. Maybe they are designed to share the engine oil?
Your Ducati analysis does not make sense as the transmission is still lubed by the engine oil. Maybe a BMW with a separate trany would be better suited for your argument.
You did not address my point as to the motorcycle recommended oil specification which is the same as automobile oil. Maybe the bike manufacturers have it all wrong
1500 degrees is 500 more than it takes to melt aluminum
60K rpm is still much higher than any bike engine ever made.
Jet engine oil cannot be used in piston applications. I have a case of it in my garage if you need some
Like I said use what you like. I will continue to use Rotella
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #63
skipper06
Racer

skipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond reputeskipper06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman View Post
My Ford Ranger manual transmission specified Automatic transmission fluid. Go figure.
Most transmissions call for G5 90w hypoid oil. Our bikes share engine oil with the transmission. Maybe they are designed to share the engine oil?
Your Ducati analysis does not make sense as the transmission is still lubed by the engine oil. Maybe a BMW with a separate trany would be better suited for your argument.
You did not address my point as to the motorcycle recommended oil specification which is the same as automobile oil. Maybe the bike manufacturers have it all wrong
1500 degrees is 500 more than it takes to melt aluminum
60K rpm is still much higher than any bike engine ever made.
Jet engine oil cannot be used in piston applications. I have a case of it in my garage if you need some
Like I said use what you like. I will continue to use Rotella

well i dont have a ducati but let me correct your knowledge about bikes DUCATI uses DRY clutches, meaning they separete from the transmission. now if im not wrong CLUTCHS in all the world are part of transmission so.... if by transmission you only mean gears, syncro and shaft in the tranny then i see where you get your deductions from.

then you really have no knowledge about moving parts, well here it goes.

the shaft on a turbo does not play around, is steady and spins on its axis, now a bearing, crank, springs etc have to really get lubed to they dont have any friction. just so you know the oil lines on the turbo hold pressure and no science there, pressure maintains flow and pretty much always lubed. the other moving parts on the motor need the oil to stick as much as possible, create a film to protect it and hope it holds and last for a long time to maintain the parts.

dont know if that made to much sense to you but i know what im saying.

i dont know what you mean about the 500 degrees more to melt alum but your bike headers get as hot as 1600 degrees too so.... hmmm ok.

jet oil was a sarcasm ;) lol

either way, i dont care what you use, i was just expressing my thoughts, meaing my opinions.

carry on guys

Sponsors: SBK PRO Race Team, SOLOSON Import, MIN. deporte, Otalora Racing, Dainese, AGV, Leo Vince, Chicken Hawk Racing, RK Chains

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #64
Sebas
Neenjah!
SoFla Supporter

Sebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond reputeSebas has a reputation beyond repute

^^^^

*Ducati

that is all
Old 09-22-2009, 08:46 AM   #65
skipper06
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas View Post
^^^^

*Ducati

that is all

Oops i dont know what got into me there

Old 11-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #66
EverythingMotorcycles
Amateur Racer

EverythingMotorcycles is on a distinguished road

ah guys...put KnN for oil filter, made for bike specs. Rotella won't compare to Motul made for bike. Friction modifiers are very different. You may pay more now, or more later. Had a guy running it on his 14, 2nd clutch later, and now clanking from tranny, he's got big problems.

But as Nico says, it's your money.
Miami, FL 33176
EverythingMotorcycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #67
superhawk22
Superbike Racer

superhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond reputesuperhawk22 has a reputation beyond repute

Six years 27000 miles and dozens of track days later and still the stock clutch. There's a new drag racing specific oil out now, it's claim to fame is it's high in zinc, just like Rotella is. Just my experience anyway.
superhawk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM   #68
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverythingMotorcycles View Post
ah guys...put KnN for oil filter, made for bike specs. Rotella won't compare to Motul made for bike. Friction modifiers are very different. You may pay more now, or more later. Had a guy running it on his 14, 2nd clutch later, and now clanking from tranny, he's got big problems.

But as Nico says, it's your money.
First off what does the manufacturer recomend? Usually a non synthetic low end oil. Just look at the API recomended by the manufacturer. This recomended low end oil is good enough as dictated by the engine engineers so the Rotella is way beyond that quality. As for the friction modifiers the Rotella has none. It is a heavy duty engine oil made mostly for diesels but can be used in gas engines as well. Most good oils double as diesel oils (Mobil1, castrol synthec come to mind but there may be others). Anything that can be used ibn a VW TDI diesel is an excelent oil as it has to cope with high engine pressures and the high heat output of the turbo. There are too many people running Rotella with good results to dispute the quality of Rotella. K&N filter is an inferior filter to the SuperTech ($2.50) and the Pure One ($6). Look at the filters that have been cut up on the website. If you want to sell the expensive products and make a profit on them that is fine but do not bash a good product. You are running a post with a sale price on the Motul are you not? A bit biased perhaps? As for the guy with the burnt clutch and bad tranny, there are many factors that can influence either set of components. I have been running Rotella in my track bikes and street bikes for many years with no oil related issues with any engine or transmition componets. Use what you want.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 AM   #69
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
ok so i have a question?? forget about how long you use your oil for. Now lets get to reality.

How high does a car motor turn??
How high does a motor cycle motor turn??

first off, bikes and cars have ENGINES...MOTORS are electrical

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #70
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
well i dont have a ducati but let me correct your knowledge about bikes DUCATI uses DRY clutches, meaning they separete from the transmission. now if im not wrong CLUTCHS in all the world are part of transmission so.... if by transmission you only mean gears, syncro and shaft in the tranny then i see where you get your deductions from.

then you really have no knowledge about moving parts, well here it goes.

you do realize that Scudman is an engineer, right

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote