SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Site Related Forums > Comments / Suggestions / Need Help?

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 03-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute
Open Question to anyone who has made an insurance claim...

As some of you may know, I was recently involved in an accident resulting in damage to the bike and injury to myself (both requiring "professional" attention... i.e. mechanical and medical intervention). That incident has been eye-opening in many respects (and not always in a good way).

Over the years, I have read several accounts here from forum members who have had the misfortune to experience similar situations, and I recall in some instances, that they mentioned that their insurance company also paid for replacement of their gear (For purposes of this discussion, that means Helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves). My helmet is trashed, and my jacket and jeans MAY be repairable, but probably not...

My insurance company is NOT covering my gear - If I were to add it to the bike's damage, it would push the bike over the "totaled" limit for its age and value, which I DO NOT want... Gary (at Extreme) is working his usual miracles to get the bike back in shape within the limits of what my policy is paying, but my helmet, mesh jacket, and armored jeans, all of which were damaged in the wreck, will have to be replaced on my dime...and even being conservative, that's one hell of a dime (upwards of $750, based on similar items at today's prices).

So... to those who HAVE had their gear replaced by insurance, I have a few questions (you could PM your reply if you don't want to post publicly).

1 - was the value of the gear included in the bike's damage estimate, and simply did not reach the "total" limit in your case?

2 - was the gear covered in your basic collision policy, or did you have a separate "rider" (as in, aftermarket equipment - which normally covers exhaust systems, custom seats, etc).

3 - what insurance company did you have, and what level of coverage?

I know premiums vary wildly, based on age, bike, driving record, etc, but a rough number would also be helpful.

I'm just trying to figure out what the best options are for the future, as I want to avoid having this problem again...

Thanks in advance
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Open Question to anyone who has made an insurance claim...

Wish I could help but my only experience has been in dealing with the insurance companies of the car drivers who caused accidents to my son or I, not our own company. The damage to the bikes was either fairly minor or no questions about it write off - when the moron uturned in front of my son on my 04 vstrom.

Never heard about the gear being included in the total and pushing it above the write off amount. Good luck and keep us posted.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #3
Mr645
3000 Post Club

Mr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Open Question to anyone who has made an insurance claim...

Just an idea, but try having Gary do a lot of the repairs, with the Insurance company paying for that, then add the gear to the claim. So that way the insurance company would have to pay your for the totaled bike in addition to already paying for the repairs. It could be much cheaper for them to pay for the gear and let the bike be repaired.

After that file a claim for diminished value. Won't work if you were found at fault, but if it was the other party, your bike is now worth less since it has been wrecked and repaired.