SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Site Related Forums > Forum News

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 11-15-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
200sxmia
wear gear or die

200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts
What's up with the forum?

Havent been on in a while and this was a good place for info on the soflo motorcycle scene. Seems like a ghost town on here. What's up with that. Is there a new site or something or did people switch to another platform?
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's up with the forum?

Been this way for over a year. The general consensus is that people are using social media for meetup information, etc. A few of us are still here, but for the most part it's just not the same crowd .
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #3
200sxmia
wear gear or die

200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts200sxmia is infamous around these parts

well that sucks cause I still see so many bikes on the road.if not more then ever
Old 11-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

Since I moved to Homestead 4 years ago, I've been mostly out of touch with the old Broward group of riders. I don't see that many sportbikes down here, and those just in passing on the road. No meetup spots to speak of. It does, definitely, kinda suck.

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #5
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

If you're really bummed out, and itching for a ride, organize one!

Figure out a destination worth riding to. Somewhere that's interesting, or has great food, activities, is unusual, or whatever. It shouldn't be too close or too far... 50-100 miles is a good distance for a first time. Make sure it's "bike friendly" (i.e. has ample SECURE parking, can accomodate a group on short notice, has room for helmets & gear, etc). Then pick a meeting place that's centrally located for your target group, and ideally, near gas and fast food, and again, ample room to park. If you really want to do it up, arrange a "support car" where helmets & gear can be securely stored at the destination... It should leave well in advance of the bikes, and the driver should be treated to lunch and gas money.

Figure out a route... if it's distant, you'll be on expressways... will there be tolls? Take traffic into account. A gas stop should be planned within 100 miles of your start point, and at the very least, before heading home. Even those who don't need fuel will need to stop to stretch or use the restroom. If you can, pre-ride the route the week before with one or two buddies, to identify problem areas. Your Lead and Sweep riders should be the most experienced group riders, as they will be responsible for everyone's safety and a smooth ride. They both should be aware of the route. On surface streets, decide how you will you deal with traffic signals/stop signs (any group of sportbikes WILL attract attention, so you want to be careful... the entire group running a red light will be sure to attract unwanted "official" attention. If you have a reallyl large group, consider breaking it down into groups of 5-8 riders... that's an ideal size, especially for people who aren't used to riding together. Identify your "newbs" so the sweep rider can keep an eye on them.

Once you've got it figured out, post it up. Meeting place, Date, Meeting time, KSU time (Typically 15-45 minutes after meetup). Post the destination, whether the ride will be- 2-up friendly, or more "spirited", on twistier roads (there ARE some in S. Fla. if you know where to look).

On the day of the ride, get there early and park in a spot where arrivals can see your bike. Greet each arrival and introduce yourself. Find out a little about them (riding experience, style, etc.)... that will give you an idea of who you're riding with. MAKE SURE their bikes are fueled. And now is the last chance for food/restrooms before heading out. Ask everyone to signal the sweep rider if they have to drop out of the group for any reason. Exchange cell numbers (especially lead & sweep). Determine if everyone is riding back together or if some will be riding back on their own.

At KSU time, fire up & head out. Don't leave the lot unti you see ALL the bikes are running and moving. Some people need longer to get all of their gear on. Remember - group riding requires extra concentration and is dangerous enough without people riding like idiots. It's not a good time for wheelies, stoppies, or burnouts.

If your ride is enjoyable, and things go well, your next attempt will likely attract more riders. Back in the day, we routinely had 20-30 bikes EVERY Sunday (rain or shine), and we rode destinations from the Keys to Okeechobee. We fed Tarpon at restaurants on the Intracoastal; we ate exceptional seafood (and key llime pie) in Islamorada; we visited odball places like Coral Castle, or Venetian Pool (bring a swimsuit). Some rides were just loops with a lunch stop in the middle (Clewiston used to be popular for lunch on loops around the lake). You get the idea. Everyone got to know each other and even socialized with each other when not riding. People brought their wives/girlfriends/kids. It was a great time.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes. PM me if you want a copy of the "group Riding Rules" we came up with back then.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0026.jpg (224.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0005.jpg (195.9 KB, 3 views)

All Green, Baby
!

Old 11-26-2018, 12:54 PM   #6
200sxmia
wear gear or die

That looks like a lot of fun and sounds great but like I said its a ghost town around. If I were to organize a ride probably be just be me and you not like I wouldn't be down. i just remember the betty burger and Hooters days. Group rides to Robert is here then last olas. I know there are plenty of riders in Miami I see them all the in cafe 27 on Sunday mornings But most of them are squids and that's not fun to ride with.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #7
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

At least you can get out to Cafe 27 - I work 11AM-11PM on Sundays, which rules out that and most other rides/gatherings.

All Green, Baby
!