SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > General Motorcycle Discussion

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 06-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
Slayer
Newb

Slayer is on a distinguished road
What happened to Sportbiking in So Florida?

Wow! This forum used to be busy as all get out. Now it's a ghost town??? What happened to everyone? Sportbikes gone out of style? Competitive forum took members?

All the bike night places I used to go to are all empty as well.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Mr645
3000 Post Club

Mr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happened to Sportbiking in So Florida?

I hardly see sport bikes on the road anymore either.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Slayer
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr645 View Post
I hardly see sport bikes on the road anymore either.
I still see them but I have noticed a big decrease in ALL motorcycles on the road....including Harleys, Sportbikes, scooters etc.

With cars like the Tesla Roadster and P100D Ludicrous and other STOCK production cars reaching into the low tens, mid 9's, maybe the thrill is gone?

Scooters now need a driver license so that "might" account for the drop in scooters on the road?

Gas prices have been low for a long time??

The danger of riding on the roads is just too much?

I have NO CLUE why two wheeled vehicles have taken such an appartent big plunge in South Florida.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #4
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

It's cyclical... right now it's either too hot or rainy for many riders. I myself am STILL awaiting parts to repair the damage from my wreck in mid-February.

No matter how fast cars get, bikes will ALWAYS be a more immersive experience - You can drive a car with one toe and one finger, while applying makeup, texting, and slurping a shake. Bikes require your full attention, and all four extremities, PLUS body language.

And cars lean the wrong way in corners.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Slayer
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
It's cyclical... right now it's either too hot or rainy for many riders. I myself am STILL awaiting parts to repair the damage from my wreck in mid-February.

No matter how fast cars get, bikes will ALWAYS be a more immersive experience - You can drive a car with one toe and one finger, while applying makeup, texting, and slurping a shake. Bikes require your full attention, and all four extremities, PLUS body language.

And cars lean the wrong way in corners.
Maybe,
My bikes been down for over a year with a blown transmission.
Keep meaning to tear it down and repair it but it starts looking more and more like it's headed for parting out on ebay.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 PM   #6
Slayer
Newb

I think it's that the generation that loved Sportbikes is getting older....
And the younger generation just isn't into them like past generations.

When I was young....ALL the guys around wanted a motorcycle of some sort. It's what the guys did.

Males have always been the biggest sportbike enthusiasts but today, de-masculization and conformity seems to be a social priority.
Gone are the days of feeling like an outlaw or a tough guy. Too many laws, road cameras, stiff penalties, rules, regulations, tattletales etc.

The recent Progressive Insurance commercial is a perfect example. They show this metrosexual young guy dreaming of being some big "save the girl" type, then at the last second, they totally make him out to be a feminine wuss. SO typical of what's going on in our society today.

Too many young guys today are more interested in make-up, fashion and being more like one of the girls.

Not to mention that half the people driving cars are on cell phones or on drugs and dangerous as hell for motorcyclists.

I think that's contributing to a decline and I don't think it's just cyclical. It's been a solid TREND for some time now.

Probably TMI. Just finished dinner and a couple of beers.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

You May be overthinking it. I'll be 63 in two months, and I have no plans to stop riding, and a sportbike is my weapon of choice. No "birthing position" cruiser for me, thanks, and adventure bikes are not my style. If & when I get a new bike, it'll be performance-oriented as well.

You came close to naming part of the problem - this generation is into comfort and pampering... not something you get dodging traffic and being slammed by dirt, dust, road debris, insects, and weather. Creature comforts and gadgets have replaced freedom and experiencing our environment "up close & personal". The journey isn't as important as getting from A to B these days.

Sad, but true.

On the other hand, some of the faithful remain... just not as many as there were. Which makes it all the more special, piloting an overpowered, unprotected, basically unstable hunk of machinery down the road at a stupid-fast rate of speed, with a maniacal grin plastered across your face.

Enjoy the ride.

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #8
Slayer
Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Which makes it all the more special, piloting an overpowered, unprotected, basically unstable hunk of machinery down the road at a stupid-fast rate of speed, with a maniacal grin plastered across your face.

Enjoy the ride.
Hmmmmm.....
Maybe too many are gone? RIP ??

I admit...I ride conservatively 99.9% of the time.

And would NEVER EVER pass a fellow biker in the same lane at high speed. But I've had a few morons do it to me. But for a few inches...scared the fuck outta me.....certain death or at least a tragic outcome.
What I "wanted" to do was let a bullet catch up to them for endangering MY life. Stupid crap like that.
Many have won Darwin awards.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
merlock
Amateur Racer

merlock is on a distinguished road

I sure miss my bike. Had to sell her last year. With the unemployment so high I'm sure a lot of people are selling their toys because they need the money.
Really miss doing track days, far more then riding on the street.
merlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post

....And would NEVER EVER pass a fellow biker in the same lane at high speed. But I've had a few morons do it to me. But for a few inches...scared the fuck outta me.....certain death or at least a tragic outcome.
What I "wanted" to do was let a bullet catch up to them for endangering MY life. Stupid crap like that.
I've had that happen to me numerous times, MOSTLY by Harley guys trying to look cool. Had words with them afterwards, too. Not pleasant ones.

All Green, Baby
!