SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > General Motorcycle Discussion

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 06-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #11
Slayer
Newb

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: What happened to Sportbiking in So Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlock View Post
I sure miss my bike. Had to sell her last year. With the unemployment so high I'm sure a lot of people are selling their toys because they need the money.
Really miss doing track days, far more then riding on the street.
That wouldn't account for it because someone bought the bikes....where are THEY?
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #12
DRubin007
Pocketbike Racer

DRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond reputeDRubin007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hell, I will throw my 2 cents in the hat after not coming on here for a while...
My bike is in the garage, has not seen the street in probably close to a year now?
Every time I ride to work (12 miles) I swear never again.. too many distracted drivers / idiots on the road and it is just too frustrating.
I have been tempted to sell the bike for a while now but won't yet... I know if I sell her I will not replace it.
I used to ride with a different group (FSB) but that all died years ago... Admittedly, I miss the old rides around the Lake, group rides up to Sebring.. seems like a lifetime ago.
I bought my bike new (2007) and have like 13,000 miles on it. Sad, I know but the biking culture down here seems to have died off.
DRubin007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #13
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

When I first got mine (2004), it was more of a "family" atmosphere... many more women riding and as passengers; group rides (EVERY Sunday) to different places worth seeing included the whole family, and most times, a chase car with coolers and food.

Not so much anymore... Sad.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Slayer
Newb

Slayer is on a distinguished road

If our brain dead Legislators would get off their lazy asses and do something good for a change......

Like making cell phone texting etc while driving illegal, it might help restore confidence.

It's insane. Whenever I'm out on the streets at least half of the drivers are texting or on the phone.

I suppose until a few of the Legislators or the Governor actually loses someone they care about due to fools on phones, they don't give a shit.

And it'll happen. Eventually.

And while they're at it....they need to make lane splitting LEGAL. No way in hell sitting sandwiched in the middle of a bunch of morons texting in heavy traffic. is safe. Going to the front to get away from them is the safest bet.

But look out for the Barney Fifes with badges. Those morons will tell you YOU'RE endangering the public and driving recklessly.
Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:34 AM   #15
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the original post, I've been thinking about this... and I believe that the prime reason for less bikes is the insane traffic and riding conditions prevalent in S. Florida these days. Road construction, "general" traffic (overcrowded roads), and inattentive/distracted drivers have all made the roads comparable to a war zone... before my accident (which was all me, ironically), I frequently commuted to work on the bike. 32 miles from Homestead to the Miami Airport area... horrific traffic, almost continuous construction zones (one of which contributed significantly to my accident, I believe) and bumper-car cagers were a constant. And I work 2nd shift, so I actually wasn't even in the worst of it.

It takes considerable love of riding to subject one's self to that on a regular basis, and it could become extremely stressful, very quickly. I only did it because I (insanely, perhaps) love the challenge, and believe it keeps my riding skills sharp (coincidentally, my crash was the first ride after a month layoff, due to mechanical issues - perhaps I wasn't at my sharpest at that moment).

When people tell me that they are thinking about getting a street bike, my first question is "do you have a death wish"? I honestly believe that Miami-Dade public roads are no place to start... and I suggest a dirt bike as an alternative first ride, to learn the skills without the distraction/threat of these mean streets.

Anyhow, I have a feeling that's a main contributer to the scarcity of sportbikes out there. Sad.

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

Old 06-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute

I commute to work everyday, rain or shine. While I'm not as 'mature' as anarion, I did turn 55 last week so I'm up there.

The drivers down here are terrible in general, you do need to be always alert and always analyzing the situation around you. If you want to ride year round, you need good rain gear and acceptance of the fact that you are just going to get f'ing wet sometimes.

Of course, in my previous life I remember riding in Calgary dressed up like the Michelen Man and having to use my palm to pull the clutch/brake levers because my fingers were too stiff to move - good times :)

Riding has always been fun for me. When I was a kid I described it as the most fun you could have with your clothes on. While there are no twisties here like there was growing up in Nova Scotia, I tend to ride somewhat agressively through traffic to keep engaged and have fun.

My son grew up and learned to ride down here. He's far more aggressive than I ever was but doesn't like suiting up so he doesn't ride as nearly as often as I do to avoid the chance of rain.

I don't ride a sport bike, just my old reliable V-Strom, but I have my fun on her. I'm always happy to talk about bikes - two guys from work have got bikes after watching/talking to me - but I don't care for bike nights or group rides. I just do my own thing.

I'll ride till I can't physically do it anymore. I guess I just don't talk about it much. It probably doesn't help that I find much of the membership to be too young and/or right wing. Most days I'm just too tired to argue.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #17
OLD MAN ROGER
OMR SUBCAGES

OLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond reputeOLD MAN ROGER has a reputation beyond repute

Kids nowadays don't even want a license to drive a car, they sure as hell aren't going to put in the extra effort to get a bike license.

I just said ''kids nowadays'' My screen name is starting to fit me..lol

Hell, Tesla has the programing in place to allow you to send and summon your car. Driverless cars are here.

Remember when everyone wanted to drive a muscle car?
OLD MAN ROGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #18
Lnewqban
Cars' bait

Lnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really niceLnewqban is just really nice
Cool Re: What happened to Sportbiking in So Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
When people tell me that they are thinking about getting a street bike, my first question is "do you have a death wish"? I honestly believe that Miami-Dade public roads are no place to start... and I suggest a dirt bike as an alternative first ride, to learn the skills without the distraction/threat of these mean streets.
According to the frequent news about motorcycle accidents in South Florida, there are still riders out there.
Unfortunately, the ones I see riding in my area seem not to have a clue about the real dangers of street riding here.
I would say that the few that look in control and wearing proper gear are the eventual adventure rider in BMW and KTM that go by.

It scares me seeing riders of Harley's, sport's and moped's speeding through a traffic light, carelessly going trough an intersection where a left-turner is ready to block his path, or stopping for a light a few inches by the center of the car's bumper in front of his bike never glancing the mirrors.
It is sad that the MSF basic course that they took and the no-helmet law have made those riders believe that it is relatively easy to survive in this jungle.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnewqban View Post

It scares me seeing riders of Harley's, sport's and moped's speeding through a traffic light, carelessly going trough an intersection where a left-turner is ready to block his path, or stopping for a light a few inches by the center of the car's bumper in front of his bike never glancing the mirrors.
It is sad that the MSF basic course that they took and the no-helmet law have made those riders believe that it is relatively easy to survive in this jungle.

What you said right there (about no helmets) as always bothered me - I've always said, "if you don't choose to wear a helmet, you must not have any brains to protect".

Now, after my wreck (in February), I'm even MORE of a gear-nazi...

I estimate that I came off the bike at about 10-15 MPH (was going MUCH faster initially). I didn't think my helmet even made contact with the ground for several days after the fact... until I went out to bring it in from the garage and saw the damage (see photo). Keep in mind that was at 15MPH or LESS!! I believe that had I not been wearing my lid, I would have been concussed at the very least; probably something much more serious (and life-changing) at worst... can you say "drooling vegetable"?

And my knee also slammed the road pretty har, but the leatherlined Cortech jeans with the d3o armor in the knees prevented ANY injury to that joint (not even a slight bruise). My mesh jacket kept me from getting ANY road rash, as did my boots & gloves. In other words, my gear saved me from MUCH worse injury.

I actually think my broken collarbone might have been caused by my helmet, but I'll take a broken clavicle over brain-damage, ANY DAY.

In Florida we have a choice... choose wisely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180221_090727.jpg (67.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 20180402_110550.jpg (121.1 KB, 10 views)

All Green, Baby
!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #20
Madeline
Newb

Madeline is on a distinguished road

I joined this site to try and find other sports to cruise with. I feel like maybe Iím just going out at the wrong time of day when itís too damn hot...but then it always feels like when I get in my car I see a ton of bikers out.
Madeline is offline   Reply With Quote