SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycles on the Road > Florida Track Days

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #1
Odilup
Forum Addict
SoFla Supporter
 
Odilup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mars
Posts: 1,798
Odilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond repute
Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Just got my order from Dunlop for this weekend (UK GPs). The rear was manufactured 3210, almost 4 years ago.

Am I being paranoid questioning this thing?
Odilup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
LEON
BIG BAD MOD
SoFla Supporter
 
LEON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Deerfield Beach
Posts: 22,642
LEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

um no, why are they sending you a 4 year old tire?
LEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
buzzcutt2
Do I look like a cat to you boy?
SoFla Supporter + +
 
buzzcutt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach Gardens
Posts: 13,899
buzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond reputebuzzcutt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Even motoGP is running on last year tires...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bichomalo View Post
DICK, Gringo Maricon!
buzzcutt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Odilup
Forum Addict
SoFla Supporter
 
Odilup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mars
Posts: 1,798
Odilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEON View Post
um no, why are they sending you a 4 year old tire?
No idea, calling them in a little. Seems sketchy.
Odilup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:45 AM   #5
don
Compensate Camp
 
don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 3,981
don has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires



I'm not sayin' a word.

EDIT: fuck it I'll say a thing. Race tires do dry out over the years or with heat cycles. They lose important chemicals / oils which are necessary to soften up the compound when worming up in order to increase traction. Just had this topic with my cousin; was senior engineer at Michelin.

Street tires have a lot less additives hence are less prone to ageing. If you are planning on cruising around on the track, go ahead. If you push it to the traction limit ship that bullshit back.
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
leeroy996
kiwibiker
SoFla Supporter
 
leeroy996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bananas
Posts: 1,844
leeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odilup View Post
Just got my order from Dunlop for this weekend (UK GPs). The rear was manufactured 3210, almost 4 years ago.

Am I being paranoid questioning this thing?
Slicks or DOT's?

I'll buy the front off you if its a DOT.
__________________
Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!
leeroy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
Odilup
Forum Addict
SoFla Supporter
 
Odilup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mars
Posts: 1,798
Odilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

They are DOTs. I just called them and they said there was no issue. The front date is 4511 I believe. leeroy996, I may run them. If not I will sell you the front.
Odilup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #8
leeroy996
kiwibiker
SoFla Supporter
 
leeroy996's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bananas
Posts: 1,844
leeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond reputeleeroy996 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odilup View Post
They are DOTs. I just called them and they said there was no issue. The front date is 4511 I believe. leeroy996, I may run them. If not I will sell you the front.
Run them, they will be excellent. UK tires went out of production a while ago. They only sell those as a set because everyone wants the fronts.
__________________
Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!
leeroy996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #9
Odilup
Forum Addict
SoFla Supporter
 
Odilup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: mars
Posts: 1,798
Odilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond reputeOdilup has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

From Dunlop. I am going to run them.



Mike,

Zero Issues with those tires.

The big concern on dates code is simply if there is a newer specification that might be better. Much like our USA product, which is evolving almost every year. Thus a USA tire made 3 years ago is not as good as a current USA made tire. This is only because the compounds and the constructions have updated, with the newer update being better than the older one. The older tire is still just as good as when it was made (maybe 1% different over time, and that may actually be better for durability). what makes the older tire not desirable is that there is a newer update available, and thus you would want the newest update.

The D211GP UK was last updated 4+ years ago, and since then they have only made a few batches since then. The 6680 front was the most recent batch made and imported. The 6838 rear was also the most recent batch in the 200/55 sizing. thus there is nothing newer or updated since those batches were made.

They have been used to win races at the AMA level with no issues. In fact the last AMA National at Homestead was won, in damp conditions, on a D211GP 200/55 of an older date than that you have there.

You will have ZERO issues with that tire, and it is a top performer. If it was not we would not sell them.

I am certain you will have a quality ride without problems. Those compounds have great grip and last a long time.

Best,

Steve Brubaker
Odilup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Qomomoko
Return of the Yoga
 
Qomomoko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Miami
Posts: 1,999
Qomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the rough
Re: Dunlop Race Services--Old Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odilup View Post
From Dunlop. I am going to run them.



Mike,

Zero Issues with those tires.

The big concern on dates code is simply if there is a newer specification that might be better. Much like our USA product, which is evolving almost every year. Thus a USA tire made 3 years ago is not as good as a current USA made tire. This is only because the compounds and the constructions have updated, with the newer update being better than the older one. The older tire is still just as good as when it was made (maybe 1% different over time, and that may actually be better for durability). what makes the older tire not desirable is that there is a newer update available, and thus you would want the newest update.

The D211GP UK was last updated 4+ years ago, and since then they have only made a few batches since then. The 6680 front was the most recent batch made and imported. The 6838 rear was also the most recent batch in the 200/55 sizing. thus there is nothing newer or updated since those batches were made.

They have been used to win races at the AMA level with no issues. In fact the last AMA National at Homestead was won, in damp conditions, on a D211GP 200/55 of an older date than that you have there.

You will have ZERO issues with that tire, and it is a top performer. If it was not we would not sell them.

I am certain you will have a quality ride without problems. Those compounds have great grip and last a long time.

Best,

Steve Brubaker

love confidence boosters on tyres!!!
Qomomoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dunlop GP Daytona DOT race tires fdlr248 Motorcycle Parts / Gear For Sale 56 11-15-2012 02:05 PM
Dunlop GP Daytona DOT race tires Minibike racer 55 Motorcycle Parts / Gear For Sale 6 10-17-2012 02:38 PM
Dunlop Race Tires TheUncannyJ Motorcycle Parts / Gear For Sale 1 05-01-2011 08:22 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2012, SoFlaSportbikes.com. All Rights Reserved