SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion of Specific Brands > Suzuki Motorcycles

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 09-15-2014, 03:27 AM   #11
2bad4u
Amateur Racer

2bad4u has a spectacular aura about2bad4u has a spectacular aura about
Re: troubleshooting question; bike "bogs"/loses power

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
I'd look inside the tank, clean, take out the pump, make sure it delivers enough ml per minute, clean, new seals, replace all fuel lines and fuel filter. If that doesn't do the trick I'd look into the injectors.
good idea it is a fuel issue filter or pump
2bad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #12
SignalX
Surrender the Booty

SignalX is on a distinguished road

I know it seems like a fuel issue, and it probably is. I just wonder if one shot of Seafoam was conclusive enough to say its the fuel system. I mean it may have just decided to run ok for a while. I mention this because I battled issues with my own bike that I swore had to be fuel related. I even thought it ran better after Seafoam. I did everything to eliminate the fuel system including:

Drained all gas (bad gas, water in gas, etc can lead to issues). It doesn't just work itself out. Water is a different specific gravity than fuel, so it can stay in your tank for a while.

Replaced Fuel filter
Static checked Fuel Pump
Replaced FPR
Checked/Cleaned injectors

On fuel injected bikes, there are so many things that could influence fuel delivery and cause intermittent issues. Not just grounds, but faulty bank angle sensors, engine switches, side stand switches, temperature sensors, etc.

So its best to go through an approach where you rule things out because you have checked them and narrow down. Some things, like an FPR can be easy to check, if you see fuel in the vacuum line thats a dead sign the diaphragm is hosed. Other things like the fuel pump can be more of a pita to check........then of course some things like injectors, there really isn't any way of testing them without pulling them, and if you do that, you may as well have them cleaned and new seals (you can actually check if injectors are leaking fairly easy, but difficult to identify a clogged injector).

The whole thing can be quite psychological too. After spending a day of taking apart and cleaning, checking, tightening, etc various parts, you will SWEAR it seems to run better....for a while, and then you will see its not fixed.

Try to find a way to reproduce the issues every time. One thing to do is put it on the stand, maybe disable neutral switch (so the bike doesn't realize its in neutral), and start wiggling wires, looking around, etc.

good luck, just buy the shop manual and go at it.
SignalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
LEON
BIG BAD MOD
SoFla Supporter

LEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond reputeLEON has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure all the fuel lines are in good shape. My old GSXR 1k had the same issue. I threw everything at it, new coils, new plugs, new injectors, nothing helped. Everything looked great until I started pressing on the fuel lines. The ethonol had softened the line running from the fuel pump to the fuel rail. Under heavier fuel flow the line would collapse and starve the motor causing all kinds off issues.
LEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
merlock
Amateur Racer

merlock is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the feedback guys. I will investigate and keep you abreast.
merlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
ebk305
Pocketbike Racer

ebk305 is on a distinguished road

Make sure your battery cables are tight i had something similar happen to me when i had my 02 gsxr 1000 it would randomly die on me..
ebk305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:57 PM   #16
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

I had an issue like this with the generator on the RV - if the engine runs ok at first, then bogs or stalls, it can be an indication that the fuel pump isn't keeping up with the demand. It will run until what's in the lines is spent, then start to lose power as the pump fails to keep a constant flow of fuel. If it's a diaphragm style pump (like I had on the RV genset), it will fail from a punctured or degraded rubber diaphragm - often due to ethanol in the fuel.

From your description of the problem, it could also be a clogged fuel filter, which would also show the symptoms you indicate.

The filter is by far the cheaper of the two parts, and the simpler to inspect. Start there.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
SignalX
Surrender the Booty

SignalX is on a distinguished road

many bikes also use a more "static" fuel pump, they just produce a constant flow, that does not change, and the diaphragm is instead part of the FPR. Same issue, just the diaphragm of the FPR is hosed. If you pull the vacuum line to the FPR and see any liquid, its hosed.
SignalX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
merlock
Amateur Racer

I don't see a procedure for servicing the fuel filter in my Clymer repair manual. Does anyone know how this would be done on my gsxr 1k? Or have a link to it?
Old 09-15-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
merlock
Amateur Racer

Never mind I found it.

My bad.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #20
don
Compensate Camp

don has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to do your bike a favor get a washable filter. The Golan Super Mini Fuel Filter is the only one I'm using.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Golan-Super-...p2054897.l4275
don is offline   Reply With Quote