SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion of Specific Brands > Suzuki Motorcycles

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 08-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
sanibel
Scooter Racer

sanibel is on a distinguished road
input on gearbox work

I am looking for my first trackbike. Saw an ad for a 2005 GSXR600 at an attractive price, but...

"jumps into gear with the clutch engaged- needs gearbox work"

don't know anything more about the problem. Any guesses as to how serious this is and possible cost to fix? Probably not a do-it-myself type job.

2010 Honda GL1800 for the highway
2002 Suzuki SV650S for the track

sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
zzwierzyna
Amateur Racer

zzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the rough
Re: input on gearbox work

From what I was told to get to the gear box you have to pull the motor and split the motor. If its just some clutch work shouldnt be too bad. The description you gave isnt that clear. Guys who abusively flat shift when they wheelie first-second often bend the shift fork, causing 2nd gear to pop neutral, which is a cheap part but expensive labor for the reason above. If its just rolling forward in gear sounds like some simple clutch work, basket/plates.
zzwierzyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
sanibel
Scooter Racer

sanibel is on a distinguished road

I emailed him and now the CL ad is gone...
thanks for the info though.

2010 Honda GL1800 for the highway
2002 Suzuki SV650S for the track

sanibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
TheUncannyJ
Precision Performance

TheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond reputeTheUncannyJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzwierzyna View Post
From what I was told to get to the gear box you have to pull the motor and split the motor. If its just some clutch work shouldnt be too bad. The description you gave isnt that clear. Guys who abusively flat shift when they wheelie first-second often bend the shift fork, causing 2nd gear to pop neutral, which is a cheap part but expensive labor for the reason above. If its just rolling forward in gear sounds like some simple clutch work, basket/plates.
Hit the nail.

Not a fun job to drop the motor and split it.
TheUncannyJ is offline   Reply With Quote