SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > General Motorcycle Discussion

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 07-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happened to Sportbiking in So Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEON View Post
I think a lot of the guys here have become track only. Last time I rode a bike on the street was a very stressful experience and that was just moving a friends Harley from my place to his.
No argument there; always very stressful. But on the other hand, it keeps your reflexes at 100%... if you survive, of course.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM   #32
Rexified
Slorida

Rexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond reputeRexified has a reputation beyond repute

I have the luck and opportunity to spend most of the summer in western NC. Kinda spoils me for Florida riding. I can make a trip to the post office last 3 hours (all twisty and mostly gravel!)

Tony, when you get back to riding, let us know how the new helmet works. I am in need of a new lid, one with lots of vents and drop down visor.

My destination is always my garage. I just never know which route I'm gonna take to get there.
Rexified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #33
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

FINALLY!!! Took the bike out for the first time since it was repaired... that's 7 months off two wheels (not counting the one disastrous day I crashed).

It felt... weird. With a new front tire and rebuilt forks, the bike seemed to turn in MUCH faster than it used to...it was unsettling. I felt a little better at the end of the ride (since I didn't kill myself).

I only rode a few miles on surface streets to run some errands, fill the tank, etc,, so I can't vouch for high-speed stability, but up to 55, everything seemed fine. The new exhaust system is a little raspier than the Muzzy's pipe it replaces, but it sounds good without being obnoxious.

The new lid (AGV K5s) felt great - light and quiet (again, up to 55), with good cooling and excellent peripheral vision. The internal sun visor is nice, but since I have an Irridium Mirror shield on, it's a little redundant... but not so dark that I can't use both if I want. The lever to operate the internal shield took some experimentation to find reliably, but once I located it, I was able to go right to it. The "Main" visor detents are strong and positive, so the shield stays put (again, I can only vouch for that up to 55). The small lever at the top of the chin guard keeps the visor open a tiny crack... which I thought would be useless, but I definitely felt air coming in. This would be great in the rain, to reduce fogging. I still have to glue the interchangeable visor ratchets in place - they come out much too easily when changing visors (from smoke to clear, for example). I dab of silicon glue on each side should do it.

The new pants (Speed & Strength Critical Mass) were very comfy, and fit particularly well.. except that they tend to ride low at the back of the waist... not enough for "plumber's crack", but sufficient for my shirt to come untucked. The leg taper is tight, so they fit well in my Sidi's. The stretch-y Denim makes them conform well with no flapping at all. The knee pockets accepted my old D3O armor without any problems, and they are positioned perfectly, centered on my kneecaps. Those things worked wonders in my crash... not even a bruise (the 2nd photo is the knee area of the old pants - Cortech Mod, leather lined with the D30 pads). The S&S armor is not very impressive, so I'm glad I have the better stuff to replace it.

Once again, I can't stress enough how well my gear protected me, even though I broke my collarbone... it could have been SO much worse...Keep in mind that I hit the ground at 15 mph or less.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180221_090727.jpg (67.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20180402_110550.jpg (121.1 KB, 3 views)

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 AM   #34
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
No argument there; always very stressful. But on the other hand, it keeps your reflexes at 100%... if you survive, of course.
My 27 year old son has put his riding on hold for the foreseeable future after his latest run in with a cager turning left in front of him. He braked hard enough so that the contact didn't damage him or the bike but he's tired of dealing with it at this point. He's going to stick to driving his suv.

One part of me is sad to see him giving up something he used to love and learned from me. On the other hand, knowing how aggressive he rides, the father in me is ok with not having that feeling of dread in the back of your mind thinking of what could happen when he's on the bike.

So now I get to split my riding between my old man VStrom 650 and his more aggressive FZ6R. It's nice for a change of pace.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

Slightly different power bands, too, LOL.

All Green, Baby
!

Old 07-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #36
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Slightly different power bands, too, LOL.
That's for sure. And it feels tiny compared to the big framed VStrom. My through traffic riding might become even more adventurous.

I have the AGV K3 SV and the first thing I noticed was the amazing peripheral vision. With that and the light weight I am very happy with this helmet.

I bought a Cardo Freecom 2 bluetooth headset for my birthday so I could listen to music without destroying any more earphones. Works great for my purposes. Sounds good/loud enough and on the one phone call I've taken the person on the other end didn't know I was on a motorcycle. I am so glad to be done with earphone wires.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #37
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

My passenger helmet is a K3... I won it at a Ride for Kids event some years ago. I liked it so much that when it came time for a new helmet (My Fulmer was over 7 years old), I got the K4 Evo. Was really happy with that, until it got wrecked.

All Green, Baby
!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #38
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

UPDATE - the bike is stable up to (at least) 95MPH, and the helmet was stable and relatively quiet. Visiubility continues to impress me with its wide field of view.

All Green, Baby
!

Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 AM   #39
-DGAF-Ray
1000RR

-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute-DGAF-Ray has a reputation beyond repute

I truly miss riding with the friends I met here, some that I lost contact with, you Guys know who you are send me a pm with your number I’d like to catch up with you :)
-DGAF-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:32 AM   #40
disgofast
The Fucking owner

disgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond reputedisgofast has a reputation beyond repute

Street rides were a lot of fun back in the day .
disgofast is offline   Reply With Quote