SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Honda Cam Chain Tensioner $1.50 Fix

This has been posted before but under a different heading. So I am reposting
Honda Cam Chain Tensioners, yes they suck big time but there is a $1.50 fix for the later Hondas, F3 and up. If the CCT has a plug (bolt) at the outer end remove it. Buy a 6X1X30mm bolt and nut . Check thread pitch by placing one bolts thread against the other. They should nest perfectly. Thread the nut on the bolt and install the bolt into the hole that the plug was in. Gently (fingertip pressure only) rotate bolt until it makes contact with the piston. Hold bolt with wrench and tighten nut against the CCT case. Your CCT will now be silent. Why does this fix work? The CCT in the Hondas does not have a ratcheting mechanism. It depends on a left handed threaded shaft that is spring loaded. Due to the locking pitch thread design this shaft cannot back up. Sounds good so far. Unfortunatly the shaft stays in one place so long that the constant vibration wears out the shaft or the nut that the shaft rides in. The shaft gets sloppy and does not exert enough pressure on the chain pad so the chain starts to rattle at high rpm. The bolt fix exerts just enough pressure on the threaded shaft that it prevents the shaft from vibrating and backing up thus eliminating the chain noise. Yes you will have to adjust the bolt but so far I have no historical data as to how long the time intervals are in between adjustments. Maybe some of you big milege people can provide the data. Any way, hope it prevents you from buying a new CCT.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:31 PM   #2
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute
How do I know if my 600RR needs this?

I am an auto tech, and to me, the valve train has soundedkinda loud since day 1. I just assumed motorcycle valvetrains were just noisy.

How do I accesCCT, is there a timing chain cover to remove?

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecracing

I am an auto tech, and to me, the valve train has soundedkinda loud since day 1. I just assumed motorcycle valvetrains were just noisy.

The chain rattles at higher RPM. Take stetoscope and place on right side of engine around the cylinder and timing chain. It should not rattle. If it does try the fix and see if the noise is lessened. There is no cover that would expose the whole lenght of chain like in a car. The chain runs inside a tunel which is either part of the cylinder or engine block assembly. I am not sure of your particular bike.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:41 PM   #4
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman
Quote:
Originally Posted by alecracing

The chain rattles at higher RPM. Take stetoscope and place on right side of engine around the cylinder and timing chain. It should not rattle. If it does try the fix and see if the noise is lessened.
Stethescope , how a bout a long screwdriver

just kidding, I actually have an electronic listening device that I've been wanting to try

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
VWWV
Newb

VWWV is on a distinguished road
Re: Honda Cam Chain Tensioner $1.50 Fix

So I took the CCT off my f4i and removed the center bolt. Inside where the bolt once was is the head of a screw with a flathead. If you rotate that screw, the tensioner rolls in or out. I am assuming, to tighten the chain, you want to tighten the interior screw before inserting the new $1.50 bolt and tightening as you describe. I ask mainly because getting the CCT on and off the f4i is absurdly hard and I don't want to go through taking it off again to readjust the interior screw. Thanks
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Scudman
Forum Addict

Re: Honda Cam Chain Tensioner $1.50 Fix

Rotating the bolt will not tighten the chain in the long run and may damage the chain guides. The fix does not require removal of the CCT. To put the CCT back in rotate the internal screw until the piston retracts and then rotate just a bit more until the piston locks.