SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
racerboy221
ScrewFace Racing #521
SoFla Supporter +

racerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond repute
Suzuki GSXR SET - VALVE Removal

I tried to post this in the resourse center but it would not allow new posts.

Mods, please make this a Sticky.....

When you change out the exhaust, the SET-VALVE can cause your bike to get a FI Light and run in SAFE-MODE. There is a wire on the harness under the seat which has to be removed in order to trick the computer into keeping the bike running properly. This article is the HOW-TO with COMPLETE PICTURES from start to finish. It works perfectly!!!

Good Luck!!

Wiring
Remove the seat. You will need to remove the passage seat later so you can do it now if you want to.

Remove cross bracket. This is optional but makes it easier to work on.

Use a flathead to release both cable harnesses. Apply slight pressure and push towards the back of the bike. A second screwdriver can be used to help pry, don’t twist them though as you’ll score or break the connector retaining tabs.

Pull out both harnesses, the gray one is not needed but pulling it out makes the black harness easier to work with.

Locate pin 30, bottom row, 5th from the left. Yes 5th from the left. Black with brown stripe and green dots. Pin 29 (to the right of it) is also black with a brown stripe and green dots. Don’t touch it!

Cut the wire to pin 30. Cut it far enough up that you can reconnect it later if needed. Like for warranty claims.

Tape the ends with high quality electrical tape. Do not use el-cheapo tape as it will not hold for long. I always use 3M electrical tape. You can also use crimp on connectors made for ending a wire lead.

Reconnect both harnesses, be sure they are secure; things quit working if they come undone.

Freeing up the cables
Remove the right side fairing bolt and pop the fairing out of the middle rubber grommet

The goal, the SET cable

Loosen the bolts holding the cable ends in place.

Once loosened, disconnect them. It can be a real pain as there isn’t much play. In hindsight, it’s probably easier to disconnect the ends from the servo first so free up this end.

Prop up the tank. (Prop tool is in the “trunk” if you didn’t already know that)

Cut the cable tie holding the cables in place. Once you remove the cables, replace the cable tie with a new one. It’s there for a reason

You can pull the cables out now, or wait until you have removed the servo.

Control servo
Remove the passenger seat if you haven’t done so already.

Rather than removing the entire rear fairing, I choose to remove only the side that I needed to in order to get to the servo. Either way will work. I’ve never removed the entire rear fairing so I'm not sure how much easier, if any, it is to remove just the side.
Remove the 4 plastic fairing retainers.
To remove these, push the middle in, it should "pop" in about 1/4 of an inch.

Retainer pushed in

Retainer removed and still pushed in

Retainer “reset” and ready to re-assemble.

Remove the bolt inside the “trunk”.

The rear side fairing should come off pretty easy now; I just laid it over the top of the bike.
Remove the two bolts holding the servo motor on.

Disconnect the two wiring connectors.

Pull the cables out if you haven’t done so already.
Admire parts of your bike on the ground…

Need Oil for your bike??? Check out my new site!! http://www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
racerboy221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
AK74
No Longer Member

AK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Great GSXR Resourse.....

I stuck you, I mean stuck it for you.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
racerboy221
ScrewFace Racing #521
SoFla Supporter +

racerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond reputeracerboy221 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank You Papi!

Need Oil for your bike??? Check out my new site!! http://www.CheckeredFlagOils.com
Old 03-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
AK74
No Longer Member

AK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond reputeAK74 has a reputation beyond repute

Why couldn't you have posted this before we went to Dro's would have saved us a lot of time. Thanks again though, I have to check a code on my bike.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
gkgsxr78
Ducati 848...Twins are just that much fun
SoFla Supporter + + +

gkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond reputegkgsxr78 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting, great info!!!

“RACING, because football, baseball, bowling, & golf only require ONE BALL.”
gkgsxr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Tungue
The Original Asian Sensation

Tungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond reputeTungue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK74 View Post
I stuck you, I mean stuck it for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy221 View Post
Thank You Papi!
GET A ROOM!
'08 Yellow/Black ZX6R | '05 Yellow/Black ZX6R (R.I.P. - Murdered) | '02 Yellow/Black GSXR 750 (Sold)| '01 Black/Silver GSXR 1000 (Sold) | '00 Yellow/Black GSXR 750 (R.I.P.) | '00 Yellow/Black F4 (R.I.P.) | '88 Red/White/Blue Hurricane (R.I.P.)

http://www.facebook.com/tungue | http://www.myspace.com/tungue
Tungue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
jgalt
Primary Target!

jgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungue View Post
GET BACK IN THE CLOSET!
Fixed it for you, sweetie!

CCS#176 Team Awesome
Sponsors: Kell and Mr. Awesome! www.floridatrackdays.com
Fueled By Yuengling

jgalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
DesertEgl
Amateur Amateur

DesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond reputeDesertEgl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suzuki GSXR SET - VALVE Removal

R teh picz soup ose to wrk??1111!
DesertEgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
racerboy221
ScrewFace Racing #521
SoFla Supporter +

Let me go back to the site where I got it from and repost

Old 03-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
gummo
Administrator

gummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond reputegummo has a reputation beyond repute

Let me take a look as I uploaded the pics to the server so we would always have them.

Founder / SoFlaSportbikes

Head Track Day Pusher / FloridaTrackDays.com
- Homestead Miami Speedway
- Palm Beach International Raceway
- JenningsGP

gummo is offline   Reply With Quote