SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Car to motorcycle oil filters conversion

Ran across this litle jewel and decided to share. I have been using Purolator car filters on the Scud and no related problems so far. If your bike is under waranty do not use car filters.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
NicoBusa
Forum Addict

NicoBusa is on a distinguished road
DON'T BE CHEAP, SPEND $3 MORE AND GET THE RIGHT STUFF.
it is not worth it to compromise your bike like that.
again, DON'T BE CHEAP.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
Mike1000rr
TRACK
SoFla Supporter

Mike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond repute
I agree, $3.00 Pack of smokes...
Old 12-15-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
It has nothing to do with cheap as the car filters are of a higher quality than the motorcycle filters. Same with car oil which consistantly gets rated better than motorcycle only oil. Do some research.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
picaflor
2000 Post Club

picaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond reputepicaflor has a reputation beyond repute
For $3 i wont go for that... I will stick to motorcycle oil filters...
There is also specific oil for motorcycle even in amsoil, mobil one which are the some of the best synthetic around...
picaflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 07:55 PM   #6
Mike1000rr
TRACK
SoFla Supporter

Mike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond reputeMike1000rr has a reputation beyond repute
Repsol as well
Old 12-15-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
Scudman
Forum Addict

It's your money, spend it as you wish
Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
Mike1000rr
TRACK
SoFla Supporter

So what filters would you buy @ Like Pep boy's??? Curious, Also is the thread pattern the same? And oil 15/50???
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #9
Scudman
Forum Addict

I have been using Shell Rotella 5-40 full synthetic diesel oil. It is one of the best rated oils you can buy. $16/gal at Walmart. For the oil filter I have been using a Purolator car filter L14612 ($6) fits most bikes. It is a high quality filter, better than the bike specific filters. From the replies that I have gotten from this tread it is obvious that no one bothered to actually read what was posted in the link. There are a lot of opinions about car vs bike specific oils with very few facts. Having said that you will not go wrong by using bike specific oil even though most is of inferior quality to the Rotella. I have never used a bike specific oil in any of my bikes, ever. My track bike is always close to redline at the track and has over 2,000 track miles with over 30,000 street miles (bought it used). The engine is like brand new inside with no dirty deposits anywhere and the cams (hardest working part of any engine) is also like brand new. Neede one valve adjusted at 31,500 miles.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:17 PM   #10
speedylocksmith
Senior SoFla Member

speedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudman
I have been using Shell Rotella 5-40 full synthetic diesel oil. It is one of the best rated oils you can buy. $16/gal at Walmart. For the oil filter I have been using a Purolator car filter L14612 ($6) fits most bikes. It is a high quality filter, better than the bike specific filters. From the replies that I have gotten from this tread it is obvious that no one bothered to actually read what was posted in the link. There are a lot of opinions about car vs bike specific oils with very few facts. Having said that you will not go wrong by using bike specific oil even though most is of inferior quality to the Rotella. I have never used a bike specific oil in any of my bikes, ever. My track bike is always close to redline at the track and has over 2,000 track miles with over 30,000 street miles (bought it used). The engine is like brand new inside with no dirty deposits anywhere and the cams (hardest working part of any engine) is also like brand new. Neede one valve adjusted at 31,500 miles.
I actually read it but my bike is still under warranty
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote