SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Sportbike Resource Center

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
speedylocksmith
Senior SoFla Member

speedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond reputespeedylocksmith has a reputation beyond repute
P.S. the 1000rr isn't on the list??
speedylocksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 PM   #12
NicoBusa
Forum Addict

NicoBusa is on a distinguished road
I was always told by the mechanics @ work to use motorcycle oil as opposed to car oil because the last one was not designed to protect your clutch and transmission.
If you constantly use car oil your clutch and gears are gonna wear out much faster since this type of oil does not have the additives that motorcycle oil does.
That's why it is usually cheaper.
And cars have a separate transmission fluid, there is your difference.
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike and ride normal you won't feel the difference but if you RIDE your bike (meaning ride a little harder than normal) and do 2 or 3 times that mileage a year your shit is gonna have to be replaced more often.
there might be other cases but since we are only expressing opinions here and not trying to sell any products you do whatever the heck you want
Old 12-15-2006, 09:25 PM   #13
Kurt1000RR
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

Kurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond reputeKurt1000RR has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedycocksmith
P.S. the 1000rr isn't on the list??
http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...frameindex.htm
CCS amateur #239
Kurt1000RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #14
Scudman
Forum Addict

Scudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond reputeScudman has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoBusa
I was always told by the mechanics @ work to use motorcycle oil as opposed to car oil because the last one was not designed to protect your clutch and transmission.
If you constantly use car oil your clutch and gears are gonna wear out much faster since this type of oil does not have the additives that motorcycle oil does.
That's why it is usually cheaper.
And cars have a separate transmission fluid, there is your difference.
If you only put 5k miles a year on your bike and ride normal you won't feel the difference but if you RIDE your bike (meaning ride a little harder than normal) and do 2 or 3 times that mileage a year your shit is gonna have to be replaced more often.
there might be other cases but since we are only expressing opinions here and not trying to sell any products you do whatever the heck you want
The one true difference between a car oil vs a motorcycle oil is the zinc content. The zinc clogs up catalitic converters in cars and that is why the % was made less in car oils. However if you bothered to do some research (instead of listening to some psudo expert who works on bikes) you may have come across the Sport Rider oil article that broke down the oils and their content. They also paid to get an independent study to test said oil. Guess what, the motorcycle oils were usualy worse than the car oils in just about every category. Mobil1 15-50 beat out the motorcycle oils. The clutch wear is bull, as none of my clutches slip on track or off. As for the gearbox, that is a harsh environment but the testing still shows that the car oil is better. Look at the label of motorcycle oil. It has to meet the API standards. Those standards also apply to cars and to car oils. If the standars are the same then the oil has to be good enough for bikes. Once again you cannot go wrong with motorcycle specific oil but you are paying more for less. I am tired of this oil war you guys do what you want and what you think is best
Old 12-15-2006, 10:05 PM   #15
NicoBusa
Forum Addict

NicoBusa is on a distinguished road
yeah you're right the war has gone on for years and it still will go on for many more.
it's like anything else: you ask 10 people and you're gonna get 10 different answers.
at least you bother doing research and it is not surprising if it all was a conspiracy from oil companies to sell the motorcycle oil at a higher price, I don't know, i just go for whatever says motorcycle oil and i like keeping my shit as close to factory as possible therefore I use stock filters.
but that's just me. It's good that you are sharing this info with everybody and i'm sure you're not trying to screw anyone, or wouldn't say anything if you can't back it up don't get me wrong- i'm just typing what I hear.
If you've done your homework you must know what your talking about.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
alecracing
Senior SoFla Member
SoFla Supporter

alecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond reputealecracing has a reputation beyond repute
re: Car to motorcycle oil filters conversion

I will believe the engineer over the mechanic

and then feed you to my killer rabid pit bull.

[]
alecracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 AM   #17
Bigboy Busa
Superbike Racer

Bigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBigboy Busa has a reputation beyond repute

I have done the research a while back and Scudman is right. SuperBike Mike has done research on oils there breakdown, wear, longevity, and most important of all Horsepower factor, and for that reason I will only run Mobil 1.
And guaranteed he has seen the insides of more motors than all the members of this board put together. Just my .02

Yeah I ride bikes, different day's different way's
Bigboy Busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
jgalt
Primary Target!

jgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond reputejgalt has a reputation beyond repute

Since I can do three oil changes for the same money with better products, in my head, it is a no brainer! Did I just insult myself?
jgalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
bigjoe87865
SHAGERON!!

bigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond reputebigjoe87865 has a reputation beyond repute

felt like bumping this.... i did my first oil change with what scudman recommended.... rotella 5-40 synthetic... and a purolator filter...

first of all i saved about 20$... the rotella comes in a gallon container... so it was more conveniant.. instead of 4 small quarts like the mobil one 15-50 i have been using...

and the purolator filter is awesome... it doenst get jammed up in my filter socket what so ever... usually i have to wrestle with the honda filter being stuck to my socket.

its a tad bigger...and blue color is a nice change...
---

i used to change the mobile one every 5k... im not sure if i should extend the rotella that long..... the mobile one is the gold cap "extended performance" which states 15k in cars....

scudman.... any input on that?

- Joel
bigjoe87865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #20
basa820
Forum Addict

basa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond reputebasa820 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaflor View Post
For $3 i wont go for that... I will stick to motorcycle oil filters...
There is also specific oil for motorcycle even in amsoil, mobil one which are the some of the best synthetic around...
Royal purple is the best. and that's what I'm using right now. the bike takes longer to overheat.