SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > Modification / DIY / Maintenance

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 11-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #1
Eddie315
Live fast ride hard

Eddie315 has a spectacular aura aboutEddie315 has a spectacular aura about
Passenger seat on race tail

So a while back I took a spill on my bike and destroyed just about all of the stock fairings then replaced it all with some race glass. I did a write up on installing a headlight in those if some of you remember. Well, my girlfriend hasn't been too fond of the whole no passenger seat thing so I did some research to see if anyone else has done a write up before I just did it on my own and found nothing. So here it is!

This is where I started
[IMG][/IMG]
I did a quick measurement of how big the seat was and cut out a hole a bit smaller than that to get a good starting point. I can always make the hole bigger but its a bit more difficult to go back
[IMG][/IMG]
From here I just placed the seat over the hole and trimmed accordingly
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
And that is what I ended up with. Now with my bike in particular (2013 gsxr1000) the key hole for the passenger seat was on the left side kind of under the tail. If I were to drill a hole and put the key in the same spot then that would make removing the tail more difficult. So I found a spot on the undertail piece that the cable will still reach for the latch mechanism and drilled a hole to put it there. Now its completely out of the way and will not interfere with removing the tail. If you look closely, right next to the wiring harness where some of the wires are exposed, you can see where the key hole is.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Now that all the cutting was done and the key situation was out of the way I had one more problem to tackle. The seat had to be forced down into its latches. I was not going to cut more of the fiberglass away and risk being able to see the cuts with the seat on. So I removed both the rear slot and the locking latch in the front and put some spacers underneath them that I got from Lowe's (1/4" tall) for 37 cents and longer screws to go along with them. Now the seat fits perfectly and goes on and comes off just as it should.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
And that's the result. Just need to wash off all the white powder from the cutting and it will be good as new. Hope this helps someone!
Old 11-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #2
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Passenger seat on race tail

Nice job. Aren't you worried about dirt getting into the keyhole, since it's located right where the rear tire will throw any water or debris?
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #3
Eddie315
Live fast ride hard

Eddie315 has a spectacular aura aboutEddie315 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Nice job. Aren't you worried about dirt getting into the keyhole, since it's located right where the rear tire will throw any water or debris?
It's one of those fancy key holes with the little flap that covers the hole when there isn't a key in it
Old 03-27-2017, 04:58 AM   #4
kevindom
Newb

kevindom is on a distinguished road

Looks like a comfy seat for your passenger. Good work!
kevindom is offline   Reply With Quote