SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > Motorcycle Discussion > General Motorcycle Discussion

Notices

Forum Sponsor

Old 09-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute
Turning off a bike at a stop light?

Twice this month I've come across a cop on his bike at a red light at Cypress Creek and Powerline heading west and he has his bike off - turning it on just before the green.

On one hand I can understand the desire to escape the endless noise, vibration and general rattling and rumbling encountered when riding those big pieces of junk.

On the other hand, why? That can't be good for a bike and is it worth the hassle? Seems odd to me.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #2
Mr645
3000 Post Club

Mr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond reputeMr645 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Turning off a bike at a stop light?

Probably just trying to escape the endless noise, vibration and general rattling and rumbling encountered when riding those big pieces of junk.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
anarion55
Sportbike Scum
SoFla Supporter

anarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond reputeanarion55 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that has to be it... those particular bikes are ok with extended idling... they even have a "parade" mode, for extended low-speed riding.

Heaven forbid they should R&D lighter weight, smoother, reliable power, and reasonable handling & braking.
2006 KX250 (2-stroke MX) - SOLD

All Green, Baby
!

Political correctness is the mistaken belief that a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

anarion55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
thecdn
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarion55 View Post
Heaven forbid they should R&D lighter weight, smoother, reliable power, and reasonable handling & braking.
A V-Strom! My thoughts exactly
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
HP4Rider
Newb

HP4Rider is on a distinguished road

I do this sometimes as some of the lights around here take forever to change back to green. Add that on top of the long lines leading up to the intersections. I probably idle for 3-4 minutes per stop light. I probably average 30 minutes of idling a day and at 5 days a week this ads up to a lot of wasted fuel = wasted money that I could be spending on goodies for the bike
HP4Rider is offline   Reply With Quote