SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community

Go Back   SoFlaSportbikes.com - South Florida's Sportbike Community > The Recovery Project > Stolen Property Room

Forum Sponsor

Like Tree28Likes

Old 10-20-2014, 10:35 AM   #1
Amateur Racer

zzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the rough
Thief shot in Delray, hopefully dies. May not be good for shop owner.

May not look good for the shop owner. He pursued then shot. Hopefully this guys friends and family get to see what happens to cowardly thieves as he dies.

PBSO: Suburban Delray business owner shot person who stole... | www.palmbeachpost.com
don likes this.
zzwierzyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
don
Compensate Camp

don has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thief shot in Delray, hopefully dies. May not be good for shop owner.

I bet the shot thief tried to pull something out of his jacket that looked like a handgun and the owner feared for his life leaving him with the only option of self defense. I mean c'mon: thieves that steal high dollar property in an organized gang are highly criminal and most likely armed.

On a another note: I buy the owner beer. And a marksman training course if the thief survives.

Hope the owner is doing good. I also feel bad for the GSXR.

His shop looks really clean: http://www.motorcycleave.com/

If you live local, need parts or a used bike you should go support his shop.
don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
Amateur Racer

zzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the roughzzwierzyna is a jewel in the rough

im just hoping hes not clueless in self defense: he pursued the theif to tell the cops where he took the shit, the two thiefs advanced and he stood his ground. (What i hope happened)

I have a feeling it went like this though: i ran after them and shot him, he stole my shit! In which case i feel bad for the owner facing a lot of jail time.

Always use your 5th and let a lawyer tell your story. Even if its 100% justifiable.

In the FB post i saw this link on i proposed a BBQ and bike wash fundraiser if there is any criminal or civil charges. Or a bash in celebration of a dead theif if he dies.

Not enough details yet but i knew youd like this one.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Return of the Yoga

Qomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the roughQomomoko is a jewel in the rough

The website looks nice. Good idea so support small business owners.

Sucks for the owner, hope all ends well. Wonder what other details there are out of curiosity.
Qomomoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
Jedi Knight
SoFla Supporter

Blanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond reputeBlanca Busa has a reputation beyond repute

He didn't chase them on foot. He pursued fleeing felons in effort to get his property back.
As long as he didn't shoot the guy in the back he will be fine. And even if he did I don't see charges being filed. The police already know this guy most likely has a long criminal record.
He got what he deserved. Hope he dies and burns in hell....
Blanca Busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Superbike Racer

thecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond reputethecdn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzwierzyna View Post
I have a feeling it went like this though: i ran after them and shot him, he stole my shit! In which case i feel bad for the owner facing a lot of jail time.
Exactly How does chasing after the thief some distance and then firing at him constitute a self defense excuse for shooting him?

I feel bad for a small business owner getting robbed. That sucks. If he confronted the thief on the premises and things escalated that's one thing. But his life or those of others were not in danger from the fleeing thieves. His shooting probably endangered more people.

But it's Florida. He'll probably be called a hero instead of someone who overreacted and went way beyond what he should have done.
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
don
Compensate Camp

don has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond reputedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post
Exactly How does chasing after the thief some distance and then firing at him constitute a self defense excuse for shooting him?

I feel bad for a small business owner getting robbed. That sucks. If he confronted the thief on the premises and things escalated that's one thing. But his life or those of others were not in danger from the fleeing thieves. His shooting probably endangered more people.

But it's Florida. He'll probably be called a hero instead of someone who overreacted and went way beyond what he should have done.
You know, we all screw up at some point and nobody is perfect. But there is a huge difference between being dumb or ignorant and hurting somebody willingly and planned. Stealing someones possessions is hurting the owner on purpose, or to name it correctly: with intent. In my none-legal believe system there is no room in society for humans like that. The thief got exactly what he deserved and I truly hope the owner will not be charged with anything, no matter what.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #8
Amateur Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecdn View Post

In cases of self defense, very easily and quickily the "agressor" can change. Example.

If you, thecdn, stole my bike and i come running out of my house and shoot you, thats a crime on me. Felonies against property do not justify lethal force.

If you, thecdn, are stealing my bike i run outside, kill you, invoke my fifth ammendment rights, until i speak to an attorney, and then my representative states "when my client (me) arrived to see that his bike was being stolen by thecdn, my client heard thecdn yell 'fuck off or ill kill you' and than thecdn proceeded to reach for his waistband, at that time my client shot three rounds into thecdn in fear for his life."

I would walk a free man barring no other witnesses. Now if i report to the police and leave the part out you yelling youll kill me and reaching for the waistband id go to jail.

Now if youre stealing my shit, and you flee the scene, and i follow in pursuit I'm not breaking any laws. We end up twenty minutes down the road.

You see me pursuing, and you and the other thief hop out of your car and advance toward me in a threatening manner, I can now stand my ground and disable one of you with lethal force, or both if you have weapons.

If i pursue you, hop out of my car and shoot like a cowboy, I am now going to jail.

Self defense is a very dangerous line to walk, you have to be ready to both serve a jail sentence and kill someone, even if it was justified. Your statement can be your worst enemy, always wait to speak with an attorney before the police.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
don
Compensate Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzwierzyna View Post
In cases of self defense, very easily and quickily the "agressor" can change. Example.

If you, thecdn, stole my bike and i come running out of my house and shoot you, thats a crime on me. Felonies against property do not justify lethal force.

If you, thecdn, are stealing my bike i run outside, kill you, invoke my fifth ammendment rights, until i speak to an attorney, and then my representative states "when my client (me) arrived to see that his bike was being stolen by thecdn, my client heard thecdn yell 'fuck off or ill kill you' and than thecdn proceeded to reach for his waistband, at that time my client shot three rounds into thecdn in fear for his life."

I would walk a free man barring no other witnesses. Now if i report to the police and leave the part out you yelling youll kill me and reaching for the waistband id go to jail.

Now if youre stealing my shit, and you flee the scene, and i follow in pursuit I'm not breaking any laws. We end up twenty minutes down the road.

You see me pursuing, and you and the other thief hop out of your car and advance toward me in a threatening manner, I can now stand my ground and disable one of you with lethal force, or both if you have weapons.

If i pursue you, hop out of my car and shoot like a cowboy, I am now going to jail.

Self defense is a very dangerous line to walk, you have to be ready to both serve a jail sentence and kill someone, even if it was justified. Your statement can be your worst enemy, always wait to speak with an attorney before the police.
Best summarized self defense gun laws for Florida I have read so far. Proud you did your homework, nothing to add.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #10
Amateur Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Best summarized self defense gun laws for Florida I have read so far. Proud you did your homework, nothing to add.
The only thing I'd like to confirm is: two or more unarmed attackers. In my CCW class I was told if 2 or more people are attacking, you can shoot one.

Obviously if they have weapons both.

Is that 100% factual? I did a little research one night and didnt find much. Never the less if im outnumbered it only makes sense that lethal force is justified, else they expect you to get gang raped?

I just dont want to pass on the wrong information, as I feel I went into the CCW class with more knowledge than I left with :p